The following information is the admission requirement for MPhil and PhD applicants, for detailed information about the admission, please visit the Academic Registry at http://www.hkbu.edu.hk/~ar/admissions/post.htm
DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY (Ph.D.)
Applicants seeking admission to the PhD degree program should possess:
- master's degree from a recognized university or comparable institution; OR
- a bachelor's degree with first class honours from a recognized university or comparable institution; OR
- any other qualification deemed by the Research Committee of the University to be acceptable for this purpose.
Candidates under paragraph (2) should have evidence of research achievement/experience. They may be admitted to the MPhil program initially, but with a view that they will proceed to the PhD program after satisfactorily passing assessment at the time of candidature confirmation.
Candidates under paragraph (3) may be required to take a qualifying examination in which event their progress shall be reported to the Research Committee at the end of their first year of study.
MASTER OF PHILOSOPHY (M.Phil.)
Applicants seeking admission to the MPhil degree program should possess:
- a bachelor's degree with honours from a recognized university or comparable institution; OR
- a qualification deemed to be equivalent.
and, if required, shall satisfy the examiners in a qualifying examination.
Normally, only first and second class honours graduates will be considered to have met the admissions criterion under paragraph (1). Graduates with third class honours degrees, with a period of relevant work experience and satisfactory results in the qualifying examination, will also be considered.