Both the PhD and MPhil degrees are research-oriented. A student is required:
- to complete an approved programme of supervised research;
- to present a written thesis which demonstrates an advanced level of knowledge and understanding in the candidate's field of study which describes and summarizes the research undertakings and findings;
- to satisfy the Board of Examiners in an oral examination, (and any other examination if deemed necessary), on matters relevant to the subject of the thesis; and
- to comply with supervision, attendance and all coursework requirements as laid down by the respective Faculty/ School.
A full-time candidate registered provisionally for the MPhil degree is subject to a probationary period of up to 12 months (for a part-time candidate, up to 18 months). A full-time candidate registered provisionally for the PhD degree is subject to a probationary period of up to 24 months (for a part-time candidate, up to 27 months). At the end of the probationary period and after the submission of a research prospectus to the University's Committee on Graduate Studies, the candidate will be assessed and candidature will be confirmed or terminated.
Normally, studentships are provided to full-time MPhil and PhD students. The monthly studentship should be enough for tuition fee, accommodation and sundries, etc.
The following information is the admission requirement for MPhil and PhD applicants, for detailed information about the admission, please visit the Academic Registry and Graduate School of HKBU.
DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY (Ph.D.)
Applicants seeking admission to the PhD degree program should possess:
- master's degree from a recognized university or comparable institution; OR
- a bachelor's degree with first class honours from a recognized university or comparable institution; OR
- any other qualification deemed by the Research Committee of the University to be acceptable for this purpose.
MASTER OF PHILOSOPHY (M.Phil.)
Applicants seeking admission to the MPhil degree program should possess:
- a bachelor's degree with honours from a recognized university or comparable institution; OR
- a qualification deemed to be equivalent.
and, if required, shall satisfy the examiners in a qualifying examination.
Candidates should have evidence of research achievement/experience. They may be admitted to the MPhil program initially, but with a view that they will proceed to the PhD program after satisfactorily passing assessment at the time of candidature confirmation.
Applications can be submitted -
- in person to the Office of Graduate School (Address: AAB 904, Level 9, Academic and Administration Building, Baptist University Road Campus, Hong Kong Baptist University, Kowloon Tong, Hong Kong) during office hours or to the collection box
- by mail to the same office; or
- through on-line application
Documents to be Submitted Together with the Application Form -
- HKID card (for local applicants) or passport/other identity document of home country (for non-local applicants)
- Original degree certificate(s)/graduation diploma(s) AND transcript(s) for the academic qualification(s)
- Original certificate(s) for the professional qualification(s)
- Confidential Recommendation
- Payment Proof of Application Fee
Period of Study and Requirements
Both the PhD and MPhil degree programmes may be pursued either on a full-time or a part-time mode.
Normal study period
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) – 48 months
- Master of Philosophy (MPhil) – 24 months
PhD candidates are required to fulfil an overseas attachment or other comparable overseas research learning experience for a period of 3 to 6 months after the confirmation of candidature.